Lower eyelid correction
Lower eyelid correction: Info, prices, before & after photos.
Has the skin under your eyes started to sag and/or do you suffer from bags under the eyes? If so the plastic surgeon can perform a lower eyelid correction. The incision is made right under the edge of the eyelashes and therefore results in a virtually invisible scar.
A lower eyelid correction is a relatively minor procedure, but requires the plastic surgeon to possess a great deal of experience and skill. Our plastic surgeons are experts in the different operating techniques and know how to achieve the most natural results.
At the Wellness Kliniek this correction is often performed in combination with an upper eyelid lift.
The advantages of a lower eyelid correction are:
- Short procedure: 1 hour
- Day treatment
- Local anaesthetic or intravenous sedation
- Long-lasting result
- Fast recovery after the procedure: 7 to 14 days
- Small scar: in a natural crease just below the eyelashes
- Safe, with a minimum of complications
- Lifts the skin under the eyes
- Natural result
Lower eyelid correction
- Lower eyelids: bags: skin and fat removal
The doctor explains
- A lower eyelid correction is the solution for sagging skin under the eyes or bags under the eyes. These often develop when the pocket of fat under the skin starts to sag. The skin becomes thin and wrinkly, the pocket of fat sags too much, the eyes become hollow and dark circles appear.
- The plastic surgeon will firm up and lift the sagging pockets of fat under your eyes. By partly removing any excess skin and fat the skin under your eyes looks smooth once more.
- Before the treatment, photographs are made for your medical file. The surgeon accurately marks on the eyelid how much skin needs to be removed. Then an anaesthetic liquid with adrenaline is injected. Adrenaline helps reduce the bleeding.
- Once the eye is completely anaesthetised, the surgeon removes a small strip of skin from under the eye. The incision is usually made under the edge of the eyelashes. Sometimes the surgeon makes an incision inside the eyelid (Hamra technique). The aim is always to conceal the scar as much as possible.
- The pocket of fat under the eyes is firmed up and lifted. Sometimes the surgeon removes excess fat. The fat can also be redistributed. This prevents the eyes looking 'hollow' over time.
- If necessary, the orbicularis oculi muscle is shortened slightly and stitched to the bone membrane in the external corner of the eye. This technique (muscle suspension) ensures that the external corner of the eye is lifted slightly.
- Lastly, the plastic surgeon stitches the wounds with an extremely fine thread and applies a couple of small plasters to the area. In some patients the doctor uses tissue adhesive (Tissucol) to glue the skin together. An eye ice pack cools and soothes the area after your treatment.
Plastic surgery for the eyes is often combined with another rejuvenating treatment: facelift, liposculpture under the chin, filling wrinkles in the corners of the mouth. A lower eyelid correction can be performed in combination with upper eyelid surgery.
Ask your plastic surgeon for some advice about the possibilities without any obligation.
Anaesthetic and Recovery
During the consultation with the surgeon, you decide the type of anaesthetic you prefer.
An eyelid correction is usually performed under a local anaesthetic. You do not feel any pain during the procedure. Many people do find the injections with the anaesthetic liquid somewhat uncomfortable. If you want, you can also have your eyelid correction performed under intravenous sedation. Read more
Following your treatment, you rest for a while at the Wellness Kliniek. A couple of hours later, you can already return home or to your hotel. You can resume your normal everyday and social activities a week or so later. Read more
Book your consultation
We try to keep our waiting times as short as possible. We can usually see you within 2 weeks for lower eyelid surgery.