Eyelid corrective surgery
Eyes: Eyelid correction: Every year thousands of people choose to have cosmetic surgery performed on the eyes: eyelid correction (also called blepharoplasty). Eyelid correction is a relatively small procedure, which has dramatic results. After eyelid corrective surgery you look younger, more alert, less tired, boosting your self-confidence.
Eyelid correction is relatively straightforward but demands considerable skill and experience. At the Wellness Kliniek thousands of successful eyelid corrective procedures have already been performed. Our plastic surgeons possess both the skill and expertise for these demanding operations.
The advantages of an eye lift are:
- Short procedure: 45 minutes
- An eyelift can be performed as outpatient surgery
- Local anaesthetic or intravenous sedation
- Long-lasting result
- Fast recovery following the procedure: 7 to 14 days
- Small scar: in a natural crease above the eye
- Safe, with minimum complications
- Opens and enlarges the eyes
- Natural result
Upper eyelid correction | eye lift
- Upper eyelids: skin removal
Combined correction of upper and lower eyelids
Upper and Lower eyelids: skin removal + Hamra fat transposition
The doctor explains
- An upper eyelid correction involves the removal of excess skin and fat. The plastic surgeon can also enhance the shape of your eyes. Because the scar falls precisely in the crease of the eye, later on it is barely noticeable.
- Before the treatment, photographs are made for your medical file. The surgeon accurately marks on the eyelid how much skin needs to be removed. Then an anaesthetic liquid with adrenaline is injected. Adrenaline helps reduce the bleeding.
- Once the eye is completely anaesthetised, the surgeon removes a small, half moon-shaped strip of skin from the upper eyelid. Any excess fat, below the skin is also removed.
- If necessary, the orbicularis oculi muscle is shortened slightly and stitched to the bone membrane in the external corner of the eye. This technique (muscle suspension) ensures that the external corner of the eye is lifted slightly.
- Lastly, the plastic surgeon stitches the wound with an extremely fine thread and applies a couple of small plasters to the area. In some patients the doctor uses tissue adhesive (Tissucol) to glue the skin together. An eye ice pack cools and soothes the area after your treatment.
Plastic surgery for the eyes is often combined with another rejuvenating treatment: facelift, liposculpture under the chin, Botox or filling wrinkles around the corners of the mouth. An upper eyelid correction can be performed in combination with lower eyelid surgery.
Ask your plastic surgeon for some advice about the possibilities without any obligation.
Anaesthetic & Recovery
During the consultation with the surgeon, you decide the type of anaesthetic you prefer.
An eyelid correction is usually performed under a local anaesthetic. You do not feel any pain during the procedure. Many people do find the injections with the anaesthetic liquid somewhat uncomfortable. If you want, you can also have your eyelid correction performed under intravenous sedation. Read more
Following your treatment, you rest for a while at the Wellness Kliniek. A couple of hours later, you can already return home or to your hotel. You can resume your normal everyday and social activities a week or so later. Read more
What do our patients say?
Eyelid correctionShould I have my surgery in London or will I go abroad? An actor, theatre director, friend recommended the Wellness Kliniek in Belgium, but I was a bit worried going overseas. Lots of people warned me for going abroad for surgery. This is why I did a lot of research before choosing a clinic. The Wellness Kliniek in Belgium has a good reputation, most reliable with good prices! I had upper and lower eyelid surgery, and couldn’t be more satisfied with the treatment and the result. Wellness clinic is very well organized. I was happy with the staff and the surgeon. They were all very helpful. I was very happy with the surgery, extremely happy with the price, and most of all with the outcome! I'd definitely go to Wellness Kliniek again. Thank you Philip for recommending them to me!
Eyelid correctionDoctor who performed the treatment: Dr. Linda VisserI am 9 days post op and so far very happy! I am still swollen but can tell it's going to look amazing. The scarring is perfectly hidden and healing very well. I had upper and lower eyelids done with Dr. Visser. During the consult she came off as a little cold, but knew what she was talking about, so the coldness did not really bother me. I wanted a good surgeon, not a friend. During the surgery Dr. Visser was amazing, not like the consult at all. She was very comforting and kind. My nurses, Anke and Marleen were so great to me! The local was more intense than I expected and they kept me calm and made me laugh and talked to me the whole time. I could not have made it without them. I cannot express how grateful I am to both of them. The only issue I had was with the follow up. I was under the impression that my stitches would be removed the following Tuesday (5 days post op) and when trying to schedule a time was informed they were closed, not really a big deal other than I had made arrangements to stay the whole time and ended up having to make another trip(6 hours round trip) to have the stitches removed. I was annoyed that I had already paid for a hotel and made all the proper arrangements with my family and now I had to hurry and make new arrangements. It's not something I really wanted to deal with just coming out of surgery, but it had no choice. I feel this could have been avoided if more attention was paid the the schedule. Dr. Visser was not there on that day and I had the stitches removed by Dr. Damen. I didn't spend much time with him, but he was very, very kind and warm. I really liked his personality. All in all I would have to say I would go back, I would just do extra research on what the hours are.
Book your consultation
We try to keep our waiting times as short as possible. We can usually see you within 2 weeks for eyelid surgery.