Eyelid correction: aftercare and recovery
After your eyelid correction you can immediately return home or to your hotel. You are not allowed to drive yourself so make sure someone comes to collect you and stays with you the first 24 hours after the procedure.
Following the treatment you will receive your personal aftercare instructions. It is important that you follow them carefully.
Enjoy some rest
Don't get emotional. A few weeks down the road everything will be fine. The intention is for you to look even more beautiful than before. After all, that's what you did it for!
The doctor's advice
- Plan your social events. Stay home for a week. Your eyes will look blue, swollen and bruised the first week. Immediately after the procedure the scars may also look red and swollen. This can sometimes be slightly alarming. One to two weeks after your treatment you usually look presentable again and can resume your social activities.
- Make sure you get enough rest the days following your procedure. Sleep on your back on 2 pillows. This reduces the risk of post-operative bleeding and swelling. It also promotes healing.
- Do not do anything that puts increased pressure on your head, so do not bend over, tie your shoelaces, lift anything or use any force when going to the toilet so that you do not make the bruising and swelling any worse.
- Any swelling and bruising will worsen the first three days but will then slowly start to improve. It may be that the bruising and swelling spread downwards. It is unpleasant but nothing to worry about.
- After approximately a week any stitches can be removed. From then on you can rub in a special cream that helps the scar stay supple. You can also apply your make-up again.
- It is wise and normal to stay active. It is good for your circulation and helps the wounds heal.
Frequently asked questions
- When will I see the final result?
You can assess the final result two months after the procedure and the scar will be virtually invisible after three months.
- Why do I need a cold pack?
After the procedure you will receive our special aftercare instructions and possibly a special eye cream and a cold pack, which can help reduce the swelling and prevent hematoma (bruising).
- When can I start using make-up again?
It may take several weeks for the bruising and swelling to disappear completely. You can start to use make-up again when the stitches have been removed. Good (camouflage) make-up can disguise quite a lot.
- When are the stitches removed?
If non-dissolvable stitches are used they are removed a week after your procedure. You can have them removed by your GP or you can come back to the Wellness Kliniek.
- When can I return to work?
Most people return to work a few days after the procedure. If your job involves strenuous physical activities you should wait a couple of weeks. You must take into account that your eyes will be bruised and swollen and that you will not look particularly presentable. So it is best if you wear sunglasses for the first week.
- When can I start exercising again?
A week later you can also resume your (light) sports activities. The wound will have had enough time to heal. Cycling and walking are good options. If you do not get enough exercise you increase the risk of thrombosis. You can resume more active sports after two weeks.
- When can I start to wear my contact lenses again?
As soon as you can remove your contact lenses without pulling on your eyelid you can wear them. Take into account that it may take a few weeks before wearing your contact lenses feels comfortable again.
- When can I start taking a shower again?
You can take a shower or a bath but keep your eyes and plasters dry until the stitches have been removed.
- When can I enjoy the sun again?
While the scar is still red you must take care in the sun and under the sunbed. You should wear sunglasses and apply factor 50 suncream.
You are always welcome at the Wellness Kliniek for a post-operative consultation.
All our aftercare following a procedure is free. Don't hesitate to call us to make an appointment.
After your procedure you will be given the Wellness Kliniek's permanent medical telephone number. Contact your surgeon if you experience any problems or have any concerns.
Our doctors are there for you, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.