Breast augmentation: aftercare and recovery
It takes a few days for the implant to settle. Soon after the operation you may experience some muscle pain in your chest and back and the breasts may feel taut.
Right after the operation you may experience some muscle pain at the rib cage and in your back. Your breasts may also feel taut. It takes a few days for the breast implant to settle.
Make sure you rest
- It is important that you get enough rest and avoid any arm movements above the shoulder as well as any abrupt physical movements.
- You must stay active to limit the risk of thrombosis or an embolism.
- By moving about you will prevent any back, neck and/or shoulder complaints. You can take gentle walks, cycle and perform light household chores. One week after the procedure you can drive again.
- Depending on your job you can usually return to work within one or two weeks.
- Avoid any strenuous household chores for three weeks. Also take care when carrying heavy bags or young children.
- After three to six weeks you can resume all your usual activities and sports.
Removing the stitches
External stitches can be removed after approximately 14 days. This is a simple procedure and can be performed by a nurse or general practitioner.
The stitches can also be left in place. They will dissolve within approximately 6 weeks.
Frequently asked questions
- Do I need to wear a special bra after the treatment?
After the operation, it is important that you wear an unshaped bra, not an underwired bra, to properly distribute any pressure on the mammary gland and implant. You must wear this bra up to 6 weeks after the operation. You can purchase the special post-operative (sports) bra at the Wellness Kliniek.
- How long before I can take a shower?
The wounds and the bandage must be kept dry until all the stitches have been removed. You can only take a full shower 3 weeks after your procedure. Make sure you dry yourself properly after showering and immediately put on your sports bra. You can take a bath 6 weeks after your procedure.
- What can I expect? What is normal?
Muscle pain in the rib cage and in the back, pain and a burning or stabbing sensation in the wounds, swollen breasts, bruising and hematomas. You may feel more discomfort in one breast.
- I have a fever following the operation. Is this normal?
It is possible that you have a higher temperature the first couple of days after the treatment. This is the body's normal reaction to the operation. If however, you still have a higher temperature a week after the operation or if your temperature is higher than 38.5 °C, it is best to contact us.
- The scar appears to have been badly stitched
The edges of the wound may have been stitched making them look wrinkled. This special stitching technique is used to ensure a minimum of unsightly scars and produce an optimal end result. In time this wrinkled result will disappear.
- My breast makes a strange sound
It is possible that you will feel or hear a rustling if you touch your breast(s). This rustling is caused by air bubbles that are (still) present around the implant. The rustling will disappear by itself a few days after the operation.
- Does the feeling come back by itself?
Your nipples may be more sensitive, less sensitive or sometimes lack any feeling at all. This will usually return to normal.
- When will I see the permanent scar?
The scar may appear inflamed and thicker for the first 3 months. The redness will then gradually reduce and it will soften and lighten. It usually takes between 12 and 18 months to fade completely. If you have pigmented (darker) skin the colour of the scar will be darker.
- When can I sunbathe again?
To achieve a beautiful end result it is important that you protect the scars from the sun or a sunbed. Apply a high-protection factor suncream for the first 12 months.
- When will I be able to see the final result?
The healing process lasts at least 3-6 months. The final result will only be visible after this time.
- How can I avoid any complications?
To avoid the risk of infection it is important that you keep the wounds clean and dry until they are fully healed. To reduce the risk of blood circulation problems we advised you to stop smoking before the operation. Stop smoking for at least 4 weeks.
You are always welcome for a post-operative consultation at the Wellness Kliniek.
All our aftercare is free of charge. Don't hesitate to call us to make an appointment.
Following your breast enhancement procedure, you will be given the Wellness Kliniek's permanent medical number. Contact your surgeon if you experience any problems or concerns.
Our doctors are at your service, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
Read more, ask for free online advice or make an appointment
Request free online personal advice or make an appointment for a no-obligation consultation with one of our specialized plastic surgeons. Read more about breast enlargement at the Wellness Kliniek Belgium.